Bonnie

Bonnie

rabbit

rabbit

Lisa

Lisa
colour 8x10

Mrs Blore

Mrs Blore
graphite 8x10

Oakley

Oakley

About Me

My Photo
artbykarieann
I am a part-time pet portrait and wildlife artist living in the deep dark forest between the Royal Forest of Dean, Herefordshire and the Welsh border. A beautiful and inspiring place to live and create pet portraits and wildlife art.
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday 4 May 2010

Dog Portraits, Jet

First of all I apologise for my lack of updates yet again. Time does literally fly by and there's no stopping it!
This is the beginning of Jet's dog portrait and there is plenty more to do. Jet has the most amazing ears, they are just gorgeous!


Also I have lots more babies, my fish tanks are about to be over run very shortly. I have hatched 33 killifish and this number could increase. You can just see the fry container in the top right corner of the tank above. They are feeding on micro-worms and should grow at a rapid rate. Killifish are mainly annual fish (some live less than a year). They lay their eggs in peaty areas which dry up in the summer season. The adults obviously die but they have ensured their kin continue as the eggs dry up in the heat but once the rainy season begins, they start to hatch in the little pools and puddles.
These eggs are for sale all over the internet and they are in magnificent colours, all you do is 'add water' to mimic the rainy season and within hours the eggs should begin to hatch.

And in my other tank, my congo tetra have laid eggs for the first time ever for me, I have one male and four females (isn't he lucky) and yesterday they spawned. I collected as many of the eggs by plucking the leaves they were on and have put these in a container until I can get a fry nursery. Also in this tank my kribensis have laid eggs, I don't need to collect these eggs as they make fantastic parents and guard them ferociously when they hatch and swim around the tank. They lay hundreds of eggs, all of which usually hatch so I simply wait until they are bigger and collect a few to keep (that's not as easy as it sounds and involves syphoning them out up a tube - job for the other half me thinks)
FACEBOOKTWITTERYOU TUBEPICASAFLICKRDIGGDELICIOUSSTUMBLE UPON

1 comments:

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Jet has a good start.
Your fish tanks are very interesting. I had not heard of the killfish before. Thanks for sharing.

Copyright (c) 2008 -2010 Karie-Ann Cooper. All rights reserved. All images, words and text remain the copyright of Karie-Ann Cooper. All artwork on this blog is protected by copyright law and must not be used, copied or downloaded without the permission of the artist