Bonnie

Bonnie

rabbit

rabbit

Lisa

Lisa
colour 8x10

Mrs Blore

Mrs Blore
graphite 8x10

Oakley

Oakley

About Me

My Photo
artbykarieann
I am a part-time pet portrait and wildlife artist living in the deep dark forest between the Royal Forest of Dean, Herefordshire and the Welsh border. A beautiful and inspiring place to live and create pet portraits and wildlife art.
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.
Monday 27 October 2008

Cat Portrait from Photo

Work is now beginning on Officer Dibble and Fifi, these two are to be full bodied and on one large portrait. Just this small part has taken 3 1/2 hours already. I always mean to log how long a portrait takes and then forget so hopefully for this one I'll be a bit more reliable!!! I still have to add a few more touches to Dolly and Peggy but the light under a day light bulb is not the best for graphite as it reflects so I'll wait until the day light is better and get on with that today. This portrait is going to be a lot of hard work, Dibble, to the untrained eye looks like a black furry cat, however I think he has every colour of the rainbow in his fur, so far I've added lilac, loganberry, a few greys, browns, fawn, cream and a bit of blue....but absolutely no black!!! He really is furry and I bet he stays nice and warm no matter how cold the weather is. Doesn't he look a laid back fellow!!!I have now drawn in Fifi as well, I couldn't resist Fifi's eyes and had to colour them in even though I am nowhere near beginning the second cat. I have put in lilac and pale grey undercolours on Dibble and all the pencil strokes are in the direction of his fur (all over the place!!) and I am now adding further layers of collour working down his tummy.I've added a couple more layers of the grey and lilac, then added loganberry, brown, cream, blue and dark grey to get to this stage. I am trying to work the entire area with the basic colours to go back to 'top up' areas but I keep noticing bits I need to add this and that to so I'm going around in circles a bit. It seems to have taken ages to get here as there are so many colours in Dibble's coat. It seems as though I've added twenty thousand layers to get to this stage. I now plan to start work on Fifi, the lower cat, and then I will go back to Dibble to add colour where I feel it is needed. Thankfully Fifi is a lot smoother and hopefully it will not be quite as complicated to show the fur going in the right direction.This photo was taken yet again under a daylight bulb so does not look its best but I wanted to show how work is progressing on Fifi. This is about 4 layers of colour on the darkest areas and I'm sure I'll be adding more as time goes by.

If you like my work please take the time to leave me a comment or become a follower (see bottom of page). If you would like to win a pet portrait of your dog, cat, horse or any other pet please see my new competition. It costs nothing to enter, all you require is internet access.
If you are interested in commissioning me please visit my pet portrait artist website or my wildlife artist website
Thanks for visiting!
Copyright (c) 2008 -2010 Karie-Ann Cooper. All rights reserved. All images, words and text remain the copyright of Karie-Ann Cooper. All artwork on this blog is protected by copyright law and must not be used, copied or downloaded without the permission of the artist