Bonnie

Bonnie

rabbit

rabbit

Lisa

Lisa
colour 8x10

Mrs Blore

Mrs Blore
graphite 8x10

Oakley

Oakley

About Me

My Photo
artbykarieann
I am a part-time pet portrait and wildlife artist living in the deep dark forest between the Royal Forest of Dean, Herefordshire and the Welsh border. A beautiful and inspiring place to live and create pet portraits and wildlife art.
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.
Friday 5 June 2009

pet portrait of spaniel

Things have moved on quite a bit since the last update on this pet portrait. I have now completed the first ear and started work on the chest area. I gave up counting how many browns, rusty reds, creams I used on the ear and how many pencil strokes it took to detail the fur as well. Luckily I have only used two colours for the chest area so far as Bodie is quite white and only needs very basic shading to give the impression of fur. Work on the left eye as you look at the portrait did prove a little difficult as in the reference image was very shaded, thanks to the wonders of the computer world I was able to brighten the image considerably to complete this area. You can see previous posts of how this portrait has been created here.

And a little update on life at the 'zoo'

All of the pheasants hatched which was fantastic news, unfortunately due to the weather turning a little damp I now have an airing cupboard full of chirping chicks to keep them warm. Regardless of how well we do up the boxes they are in, some always escape and it does take some effort to recapture them.

Plus there was a tractor auction today and we travelled all the way to Shrewsbury with Willow, who as always managed to get lots of fuss and attention! We returned home with a few additional items such as a police push bike, a post box, 4 army weapons boxes, a lamp and a very large bag of cooked meat which a very kind man from Mr T's Roasties food van gave to Willow (she even managed to charm him!) and boy did she appreciate it!

Going back to Pickle the guinea pig, he is now much much better, his appetite is almost back to normal and he has actually put on some weight and his fur is now looking a little less fluffy now so that's a bit of a relief.

Click here you will see I've added a couple more spaniels to my next portraits, they are called Brodie (liver and white at the very bottom) and Charlie (black and white) and these will be two seperate head and shoulders portraits although they are to be for the same customer. I've never done a black and white spaniel before so this will be something I'm looking forward to.

If you like my work please take the time to leave me a comment or become a follower (see bottom of page). If you would like to win a pet portrait of your dog, cat, horse or any other pet please see my new competition. It costs nothing to enter, all you require is internet access.
If you are interested in commissioning me please visit my pet portrait artist website or my wildlife artist website
Thanks for visiting!


4 comments:

Sally McLean said...

This portrait is looking beautiful Karie!

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful portrait Kari...love the colours in this one....great news about Pickle too.....I cant imagine anyone saying no to Willow, she is adorable.

Unknown said...

I wish I could do as well but maybe one day I will.

artbykarieann said...

Hi Fancy, all it really takes is practice, there is nothing else to it at all.My earlier portraits look so awful now and I was so proud of myself aswell!!!

Copyright (c) 2008 -2010 Karie-Ann Cooper. All rights reserved. All images, words and text remain the copyright of Karie-Ann Cooper. All artwork on this blog is protected by copyright law and must not be used, copied or downloaded without the permission of the artist